The Orange First Presbyterian Church was formed in 1719 under the name, The Church at Newark Mountains, since Orange was a part of Newark at the time. The original church was erected in 1832 and this large Romanesque Revival building in 1878. The area became known as Brick Church and the congregation is now the Brick Presbyterian church.
Upsala College (UC) was a private college affiliated with the Swedish-American Augustana Synod (now the Augustana Evangelical Lutheran Church) and located in East Orange in Essex County, New Jersey in the United States. Originally founded in 1893 in Brooklyn, in New York City, Upsala later moved to Kenilworth, New Jersey, and finally to East Orange in 1924. On 1 May 1995, the college's board of trustees voted to close the school when its accreditation expired on 31 May 1995.
Built in 1926 as both a residential and a traditional short-stay hotel, the 10-story, 250-room Hotel Suburban featured restaurants; function rooms named for flowers; the Dubonnet Bar, where smartly uniformed waiters delivered drinks on silver trays; and a grand ballroom—all under the slogan, “Where living is gracious.” By the following decade, as the community changed, the Hotel Suburban became an office building. Eventually, it fell into disrepair and closed in the late 1990s. The building was renovated in 2009 and soldiers on as a nondescript apartment house.
The "Original Eastern School,* was built in 1835, The old school was finally torn down in 1965 to make way for I-280 and its 7th and 8th grade students were transferred to Stockton. The school is sometimes referred to as "Eastern District School," "Eastern Grammar School," or "Eastern Elementary School" in articles and documents over its history.
In 1952, the Ashland stadium was renamed Martens Stadium, after the recently retired Mayor Charles Martens (East Orange Mayor from 1918 - 1952). In 1993-1994, it was rebuilt and renamed Paul Robeson Stadium, after the New Jersey born athlete and All American football player.
The original school, built in 1890 and first occupied in 1891, it was built facing Winans Street. That building was torn down in 1953 to make room for an addition to the 1911 school shown here. The "new" building was attached to the old and was built facing Walnut Street. The old building was demolished in 2005 to make way for the Cicely Tyson Community School of Performing and Fine Arts in 2009.
Built in 1940, the 21 North Park Street, classic diner was a fixture in East Orange for many of its residents, as well as those just passing through. Many online reviews from former customers speak of good food and great service. Louise, a long-time employee, left warm and lasting impressions upon many customers whom she served. Unfortunately, the iconic landmark was destroyed by a fire in 2015. William Nicholson, owner of the Harris Diner in East Orange, said it would not reopen. " This was the only diner in the fifties that allowed blacks to sit and eat at the counter. They said my diner would close; and it outlasted them all”. --Nicholson.
East Orange General Hospital (EOGH) was founded in Newark as the Homeopathic Hospital of Essex County. A building was erected in 1926 in East Orange and was later renamed East Orange General Hospital in 1938. The edifice was expanded in 1970 and again in 1998 when the Medical Arts Building was completed. The hospital celebrated its 100th Anniversary in 2003.
The Renaissance Revival-style Ambrose Ward Mansion was constructed in 1898 during the height of the "Gilded Age". Well-preserved and architecturally distinguished, the mansion currently houses the headquarters of the African American Fund of New Jersey, a social service organization dedicated to the empowerment of the African-American community.
Cicely Tyson School of Performing and Fine Arts is a specialty magnet public middle school / high school that serves students in sixth through twelfth grades in the city of East Orange in 2009. It’s gala opening was marked by star-studded event attended by politicians and performers alike like former New Jersey governor, John Corzine, actor Terrence Howard and none other than Cicely Tyson, herself!