59-year-old surfer mauled to death by great white shark was trying to protect his friends

A surfer who died after being mauled to death by a great white shark was trying to protect his friends.

The man, who was not named, was bitten by a 14ft shark.

According to multiple reports, the man was trying ti alert his mates that there was a shark in the area.

The incident happened at the Tuncurry Beach near Forster in New South Wales, Australia.

Bruce, the shark, bit a huge chunk out of his right thigh while he was surfing.

The incident happened on the morning of Tuesday this week.

The victim is reportedly from Sydney’s Northern beaches.

It is believed that he was on a surfing holiday with his friends when he spotted the shark in the water and tried to raise the alarm before it anyone of them.

Local authorities have released a statement about the horrifying incident.

Superintendent Christopher Schilt released a statement about the incident saying:

When the attack occurred the man did actually see the shark and called out to try and warn others.

The 59-year-old victim was dragged from the water by locals and was given CPR before being rushed to a local dog park.

The victim of the shark attack died before they could be airlifted to a hospital.

Witness that was present at the scene talked with the local news agencies. 

The witness said:

Bruce has been swimming around there for years now finally big enough to attack someone. RIP old mate.

Another local witness said:

Probs the local white, pretty sure it was Brucey.

The New South Wales ambulance confirmed that the man was unable to be saved on time.

The emergency services said in a tweet:

Despite the best efforts of paramedics and bystanders at the scene, the man could not be resuscitated.

All beaches in Tuncurry and Forster have been shut down since the incident this week.

The MidCoas Council released a statement about the incident, saying:

In response to a shark attack at Tuncurry Beach this morning, we have closed all beaches from Black Head to One Mile at Forster. This decision has been made based on advice from Surf Life Saving NSW officials. We will update here (Facebook) once beaches are reopened.

Authorities are now working with the Department of primary industries in order to identify the shark that was responsible for the first fatal attack this year.

The police have reportedly deployed drones in the area to find the great white shark that carried out the attack.

Images of the bite mark have also been sent to scientists.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of the victim. May his soul rest in peace. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

two × four =