An owl was rescued by the RSPCA after they got stuck in a filthy extractor fan that was in the kitchen of an empty hotel.
According to reports, the owl spent 2 days there before they got rescued.
The poor owl was discovered by the owner of the Alhambra Court Hotel in York after the animal was making some noises.
They ended up calling animal welfare officers, who found out that it was an owl.
Leanne Honess-Heather, the investigating officer, turned up at the scene to check out and do their part in saving the animal.
During an interview with Metro News, the officer said:
The hotel owner heard noises coming from the extractor fan but wasn’t sure what it was. When she went to investigate she spotted a tawny owl sitting behind the fan. The bird seemed bright and alert despite being trapped. When I arrived at the disused hotel the owl, who had tried to push her way out, was then wedged tight between the fan blades in the extractor. We suspect the bird had fallen down the large extractor and then, when trying to get out, had got wedged in the fan. The fan was sticky and covered in grease which made it harder for the bird to free herself. Initially she was stuck at the top of the fan, upside down. But then, struggling, she worked her way to the bottom. Thankfully, the cover was easily removed and we were able to free her. She had no major injuries but she was dehydrated and covered in thick grease so needed a good bath.
The owl was removed and was given a bath due to the horrible condition they were in.
The animal is currently recovering in the hands of experts.
They will be releasing her back in the wild once she is in good shape.
The owl is currently with the Ryedale Rehab staff, where medical treatment was given to the animal at an instant.
Talking about the bath time and the owl’s future, Leanne said:
The owl wasn’t too impressed by bath time but, after towel drying her off and popping her in a warm cage to dry out, she looked and felt much better. She’ll now stay at Ryedale Rehab until she’s been given a clean bill of health and is ready to be released back to the wild where, hopefully, she’ll stay away from any kitchens.
If you do find animals stuck somewhere, please contact your local authorities, do your part.