61-year-old Alaska man left with a crushed jaw after bear attack

A 61-year-old man from Alaska was left with a crushed jaw after they were attacked on the face by a massive bear.

The bear also left them with a massive head wound.

Doctors that were treating the man said that the wound was so deep that they saw his bones.

61-year-old Allen Minish, the bear attack survivor, was out hiking in Alaska when he had a run-in with a massive brown bear.

Talking about the incident, Allen said:

All of the sudden, I looked up, and about 30 feet away, there was this nice-sized brown bear. And it looked at me, and it came at me. And I thought, ‘Great.’

As they were trying to get away from the bear, the man fell.

This allowed the bear to catch up and lunge on him.

As the bear was on his top, the man grabbed the lower part of the bear’s jaw.

Explaining why he did that, Allen said:

If you grab a dog’s lower jaw, it can’t bite you. So I got a hole punched in my hand with its molar, but he couldn’t close his mouth. And all he did was scratch my hand with his upper one. But then he twisted his head so fast, he knocked my hand free and when he did that, he lunged, grabbed my head, took the first bite, relaxed and took the second bite, that was stronger. And that’s when he cracked all the bones and part of my head.

Allen said that the attack only lasted around 10 seconds before the bear walked off.

After the attack, he called 911 right away.

The man then took off his top and wrapped it around his head in order to stop the bleeding. 

Despite the horrifying injuries that they had on their head, Allen managed to guide the first responders to his location.

He also walked away from the attack site.

Allen was rushed to the Providence Alaska Medical Centre in Anchorage.

He underwent a 4 hours and 30 minute surgery to stop the blood and to treat the injuries that he sustained during the attack.

It was later revealed that the bear attack left him with a crushed jaw, deep scalp wound, multiple other lacerations, and a wound on his right eye.

He had to receive 100 stitches in total. 

Talking about the incident, he said:

I guess I feel lucky. In all honesty, it wouldn’t have mattered either way. You know, if it killed me, it killed me.  I had a good life. I’m moving on.  It didn’t kill me, so now let’s move on to the other direction of trying to stay alive.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the victim, may he recover from his injuries fast. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

fourteen + 4 =