Categories
News

Faulty charger leaves university student partially blind after spark flies right into her eye

A university student was left partially blind after a faulty charger emitted a spark and entered her eye.

19-year-old Esther Modede, a law student, was plugging her phone into charge on the evening of April 27, 2021, when the incident happened.

The student said that she lent the charger to friends over the weekend.

After the plugged in the phone, the charger started to burn up and smoke was emitted from the broken wire. 

Suddenly, the wire started to emit sparks and one hit her right in the eye.

The student claims the spark left her blind.

After that, she rushed herself to the hospital.

The student spent 4 hours in the hospital to get her eye bandaged up, but when the dressing was removed 3 days later, nothing had changed.

Fast forward to today, her eyesight is getting better.

The student said that she is slowly recovering.

She also agreed that the incident left her extremely worried.

I mean, I would too if I stopped seeing after such incident. 

Modede, who is from Birmingham, West Midlands, said: 

I had borrowed [sic] to friends my charger over the weekend and when I got it back it was slightly damaged. I didn’t think anything of it so I plugged in my phone to charge and it started burning up. I didn’t think it was going to get any worse and then as I was recording it, it started sparking. I then got a spark in my eye and I couldn’t see very well at all. I didn’t realise I was that close or that the spark would be able to enter my eye. I was extremely worried. Everything went blurry and when I closed my other eye I couldn’t see very well. I had the bandage on my eye for three days. When I took the bandage off I couldn’t see very clearly, but my sight has cleared up and is still healing.

When she was getting treatment at the Birmingham City Hospital, she was told what happened.

An eye specialist told her that a rogue sparked enter her eye and had damaged her cornea.

This left her unable to see for some time.

The student went on:

The surface of my eye was affected. The moment the spark hit my eye, my eye shut and I felt it begin to swell. It was a hot sensation. The swelling and the blurring of my sight was worrying. My vision as of last week was still recovering but as of currently it’s a lot better and I can now read when the other eye is shut.

Let’s hope she recovers properly and fast from the injury that she sustained.

To avoid such instances, make sure that your charger is plugged properly and the wire is in a good condition. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1 × one =